Join Angela, Axel, Abel, Amos, Audrey and Asher as they welcome their new sibling home.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Wanna know what I'm doing tonight?

Tonight I'm filling out my I-600A!!!

For those who are familiar with this form, you understand why I'm excited!

But I have many readers who are not familiar with adoption. The I-600A is a significant step in the international adoption process! Once the homestudy is complete it, along with this form and a check for $890, is sent to the US Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is the petition to adopt a child from a foreign, non-Hague country.

Once the petition is received in the USCIS office, an immigration officer is assigned who will review the homestudy then either a) request further information or b) issue an appointment for fingerprints. This appointment is usually about 2 weeks out. Fortunately our nearest immigration office allows for walk-in appointments as long as you bring your appointment notice with you.

After USCIS receives our fingerprints it takes around two weeks to receive paper approval. This paper is called the I-171H, and is THE golden ticket that allows us to travel to bring B home!


No comments:

Post a Comment