Join Angela, Axel, Abel, Amos, Audrey and Asher as they welcome their new sibling home.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Chameleon

Most people associate Chameleons with their ability to change color, and blend into their environment. We often associate this with the character traits of some people, and their inability to maintain an individual identity around certain groups of people.

But chameleons are also known to be quite slow in certain situations. Axel is a chameleon.

So far, my biggest frustration with Axel is his speed...or lack of...when doing a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g.

Please don't get me wrong. I love this child! He is amazing. This is just me adjusting and getting to know Axel.

Axel's foster mom told me he was pokey, I just had *no* idea how slow his slow really was.

The foster mom wasn't kidding.

Tonight I found a video. It is a perfect example of how Axel moves sometimes. Notice between each step the chameleon stops to look around, checking out every aspect of his environment. Yep...totally Axel.


Was that PAINFULLY slow for you to watch? Hmmm mmmm! Point made.

This has been my biggest frustration so far. And, I fear, it's what will cause him the most difficulty in school. I'm sorry Axel, but you will not have an hour to eat school lunch. You will not have 15 minutes to undo your pants in the bathroom, plus another 15 to get them put back together when you're done. Never mind how long it takes you to do what needs to be done in the bathroom in the first place! You will not be sent to your locker a full 15 minutes before everyone else just so you can make it out the door for recess shortly AFTER them.

I did discover that when walking in a store, it is better to NOT hold his hand. If I hold his hand, he d.r.a.g.s. and will eventually destroy my shoulder. But if I just walk and don't look back, he keeps up! I think holding his hand means he is not required to pay attention and so he looks around and allows the adult to propel him along. But if he's required to walk himself he has to pay attention and stay connected to what's happening around him.

This is a minor issue, and so far it's my biggest frustration. Life is pretty darned good!

2 comments:

  1. lol - better get something in that IEP that says "provide sufficient time to ... " :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I have a few chameleons in my house!!!!!

    Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete